In this tutorial I will explain you how to configure an outgoing mail server with Gmail.
Configuring outgoing mail servers in Odoo is one of the most simple things there are, you just need to know what exactly you should fill in.
First go to Settings > Email > Outgoing Mail servers and click on Create.
You will get a new window looking like this:
Let’s go over the fields:
- Description: A description for the outgoing mail server.
- Priority: The priority of your mail server. The lower the number the higher the priority. This will mean that the e-mailserver with the lowest number will be used the most.
- SMTP server: The pointer to the SMTP of your server, for example smtp.gmail.com.
- SMTP port: The port of your SMTP server, for example port 465 for Gmail.
- Connection security: The type of security. You should choose SSL/TLS for Gmail. The data is then send over HTTPS.
- Username: Your e-mail account, in this example email@example.com
- Password: The password of your e-mail account.
For Gmail it will look like this:
Now save the record and from now on Odoo will send all your e-mails from Odoo to the person you want to e-mail.
TIP: by default the time that Odoo sends e-mails from Odoo is every 1 hour. If you wish to modify this you should go to Settings > Automation > Scheduled Actions and open up the record ‘Email Queue Manager’. Modify the time to your likings.. For example every 2 minutes:
For more information check out this Wikipedia article about mailservers.